The fight against drug abuse is global. The United Nations on the 19th of April, 2016 adopted a framework putting people at the center of global policies on drug control, which the head of the UN office on drug and crime (UNODC) says can help promote the urgent, United and concerted action that could put an end to drug abuse.
As the lead entity in the UN system in addressing the challenges posed by illicit drugs, the executive director of UNODC reaffirms that UNODC remain fully committed in helping states:
– To ensure access to controlled drugs to relieve pain and suffering.
– To promote prevention, treatment, rehabilitation and reintegration approaches rooted in evidence, science, public health and human rights.
– To stop the criminal, prevent and counter illicit cultivation, production and trafficking.
– And to use all available tools as provided by the convention on drugs, corruption, transnational organized crime and terrorism to tackle related organized crime, money laundering and illicit financial flow.
In support of this, the NYSC NDLEA drug free club Oyo zone lead by NDLEA Head of operation Oyo zone, Mr Ola, The president NYSC NDLEA Drug free club (Mr Akinsipe, Wande Frederick), The Vice president (Miss Ujuwa, Oliver Onyebuchi), The general secretary (Mr. Morgan, Morgan Sylvester), the Atiba Local Government coordinator of the club (Mr. Michael Suleiman), Oyo East local government coordinator (Mr. BIlawa Azeez), Afijo local government coordinator (Acha Andrew), Oyo West local government coordinator (Idongesit Victor Friday) and hundreds of other Corp members took the message to Owode garage in Owode, Oyo, Oyo State.
According to them “Drug is good, but drug abuse is dangerous and can lead to many consequences including brain damage, liver damage, hypertension, damage to unborn babies, premature death among others.
They classified drug abuse stages to include;
– Experimentation : this results as a result of curiosity and peer pressure
– Occasional and social use: in this stage, users are passive, accepting drugs if and when offer rather than seeking out for it.
– Regular Use: At this stage, user seek after the drugs and maintain their own supplies..
– Dependence and addiction: At this stage the drug becomes a major part of the user life.
The sensitization tour which lasted close to 3 hours was well attended and applauded by the motor Park user. Most of the drivers who spoke with our correspondent shower praises on the Corp Members and promise not to drink and drive as they all have one life to live.